Apr 8, 2012

Sister Sunday: Oatmeal Obsession


I have a confession to make: I am really bad at eating breakfast. I know it is the most important meal of the day, and everything, but when I'm snoozing in my bed, those extra 20 min underneath the blankets wins every time. That is why I decided to make some breakfast that had almost no prep time.
Overnight oats and baked oats. Two yummy an super healthy breakfasts that you can make in advance. They both contain oats and chia seeds and have def helped me start every day better.

Baked oats (adapted from here)
2 eggs 
2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats
1 banana, mashed
2 3/4 cups milk (I used 1%)
1/4 cup chia seeds
6 packets of Sweetleaf Stevia or 1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt

Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips


Mix everything in a big bowl. Add additional ingredients or toppings. I mixed in blueberries or rasberries in some of mine, and I also made some with brow sugar and pecan nuts on top.
Spray your liners with some oil before you fill them and bake at 350 F for 30 min. Cool and freeze.


These can be eaten like they are, or like I prefer them: heated in a bowl with fresh milk and blueberries.
Tip: remove from the cupcake trays as soon as they are out of the oven.


Overnight oats (adapted from here)


1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
1/3 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds


Put all the ingredients in a mason jar and shake.
Add flavors such as peanut butter, apples, berries (frozen or fresh), bananas, or anything that flats your boat.
So, there you go: two ways to start your days healthy and stress free.


3 comments:

  1. Yum!

    GTBB,
    http://badjoan.blogspot.com
    http://cookingjoan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last idea is great!
    I just prepared a nice glass, so I can bring my lovely morning-muesli to university!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you perhaps know the calorie per serving on the baked oats? They sound delicous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave some L.O.V.E. !
You guy's Rock!